Why firm, respectful parenting can feel lonely—and why it is worth continuing
Sometimes the hardest part of parenting differently is not managing your child’s behavior.
It is managing the opinions of everyone watching you.
You decide not to give your child unlimited access to a phone, tablet, video game, or social-media account simply because “all the other kids have one.” You allow your child to express anger or disappointment without immediately punishing the emotion. You establish reasonable limits, follow through with consequences, and try to remain calm when those limits are tested.
You want to raise your child with both firmness and respect.
Then someone tells you that you are being too soft.
Another person says you are being too strict.
A relative insists that your child needs to learn who is in charge. A friend rolls their eyes when you explain your screen-time limits. Someone else tells you that children must experience everything eventually, so there is no point trying to protect or guide them now.
Before long, you begin to wonder:
Am I doing the right thing or am I making this more difficult than it needs to be?
Parenting Differently Can Feel Very Lonely
It takes courage to parent in a way that differs from what you experienced growing up or what you see happening around you.
It takes even more courage when you do not have a healthy parenting example to follow.
Many parents know exactly what they do not want to repeat. They remember the yelling, threats, punishments, humiliation, silence, fear, or emotional distance from their own childhoods. They are determined to give their children something different but they may not have seen what that “something different” looks like.
It is difficult to become a parent you have never seen.
You may be learning how to regulate your own emotions while teaching your child to manage theirs. You may be trying to establish limits without intimidation, use consequences without humiliation, and earn cooperation without demanding blind obedience.
You are not merely raising a child. In many ways, you are rebuilding your understanding of what parenting can be.
That is demanding work, and it can feel especially lonely when the people around you do not understand it.
Firm and Respectful Does Not Mean Permissive
Respectful parenting is sometimes mistaken for allowing children to do whatever they want. But genuine respect does not mean removing limits or rescuing children from every uncomfortable feeling.
Children need boundaries. They need guidance, structure, accountability, and consequences. They also need to know that making a mistake will not cost them their parents’ love.
A firm and respectful parent can say:
“You are allowed to be angry, but you are not allowed to hurt someone.”
“I understand that you want more time online, but the agreement remains the same.”
“You do not have to like this decision, but I am still responsible for making it.”
“We can talk about what happened without yelling at each other.”
This style of parenting is neither permissive nor controlling. It recognizes that children deserve dignity while they are still learning how to manage impulses, disappointment, responsibility, and relationships.
The Pressure to Follow the Crowd
Parents today face pressures that previous generations could hardly have imagined.
Children have access to unlimited entertainment, persuasive advertising, social media, online gaming, group chats, and content that can reach them at any hour. Parents are frequently told that restrictions will make their children feel left out or that monitoring technology is an invasion of privacy.
Giving in can sometimes feel easier than holding a thoughtful boundary.
It may seem easier to buy the phone, allow the app, extend the curfew, overlook the disrespect, or say yes because every other parent appears to be saying yes.
But your responsibility is not to duplicate what every other family is doing.
Your responsibility is to decide what is appropriate for your child, based on their age, maturity, needs, behavior, and ability to handle responsibility.
Popularity does not determine whether a parenting decision is wise.
I Had to Become the Father I Had Never Seen
When I was raising my three children during the 1980s and 1990s, I often felt as though I were figuring out fatherhood on my own.
My own father had not provided the example I needed. I knew what I did not want to repeat, but knowing what not to do is not the same as knowing what to do instead.
I wanted to be involved. I wanted to establish healthy limits, develop strong relationships with my children, and make decisions based on their long-term well-being not on what was easiest in the moment.
That sometimes meant removing them from situations where I believed the environment or activity was inappropriate. Other adults occasionally questioned those decisions.
“They’re going to see it somewhere eventually,” I was told. “Why make such a big deal about it?”
But children eventually encountering something does not mean parents must stop guiding them. Our job is not to prevent every difficult experience. Our job is to help children develop the maturity, judgment, and inner strength to handle those experiences when they come.
I did not make every decision perfectly. No parent does. But I tried to remain intentional about the adults my children were becoming not simply focused on ending the conflict in front of me.
When Family Members Disagree With Your Parenting
A mother who attended several of my parenting classes once described how difficult family gatherings had become for her.
If her young son grew hungry, overtired, or overwhelmed, his behavior deteriorated. She understood that he had reached his limit and that it was time to leave.
Her relatives disagreed.
They believed she should demand that he behave, punish him for being uncooperative, and demonstrate that she, not the child, was in charge.
She was not ignoring his behavior or allowing him to control the family. She was recognizing that a preschooler who had exceeded his emotional and physical limits was unlikely to suddenly develop self-control because adults became louder or more threatening.
Leaving was not surrendering her authority. It was exercising it thoughtfully.
There will be times when other people interpret your calm response as weakness. They may see your refusal to yell as a refusal to discipline. They may believe that listening to a child means allowing the child to make every decision.
You do not need to convince everyone.
You need to remain clear about your values, establish appropriate limits, and act in a way that protects both your child’s development and your relationship.
Look Beyond Today’s Behavior
Parenting is not only about getting a child to comply in the moment.
It is about helping that child become an adult who can make sound decisions when you are no longer standing beside them.
Fear may produce immediate obedience, but obedience alone is not the ultimate goal. We also want children to develop judgment, empathy, responsibility, courage, resilience, self-respect, and the ability to think independently.
That requires more than punishment.
It requires conversations, expectations, consistent follow-through, natural and logical consequences, opportunities to solve problems, and a relationship strong enough to survive difficult moments.
Years ago, a parent said to me:
“My parents yelled and punished me, and I turned out fine. I have a job, a mortgage, and I’m able to live my life.”
My response was that I did not want my children merely to turn out “fine.”
I wanted them to live fully. I wanted them to discover meaningful work, build healthy relationships, trust their judgment, recover from setbacks, and find a sense of purpose.
Those qualities do not develop from one perfect parenting method. They grow through thousands of interactions in which children experience both love and limits, freedom and responsibility, encouragement and accountability.
You Are Not Parenting for the Approval of the Audience
If you are trying to parent with firmness, respect, and intention, there will be moments when you feel alone.
You may question yourself. You may lose your patience. You may handle a situation poorly and need to apologize. Parenting differently does not mean parenting perfectly.
It means being willing to examine what you learned, keep what was healthy, and change what was harmful.
It means choosing your child’s long-term character over someone else’s short-term approval.
Continue setting reasonable boundaries. Continue listening without surrendering your responsibility. Continue allowing feelings while placing limits on harmful behavior. Continue repairing the relationship after difficult moments.
Most importantly, continue becoming the parent you wish you had seen.
Your children do not need a flawless parent.
They need a parent who is present, purposeful, willing to grow—and brave enough to lead differently.
Have you ever felt criticized or alone because of the way you chose to parent? What helped you remain confident in your decisions? Share your experience in the comments. Another parent may need to hear it today.
About Bill Corbett
Bill Corbett is a parenting educator, author, speaker, and creator of Cooperative Kids. Drawing on decades of experience raising three children and helping families build calmer, more respectful relationships, he teaches practical strategies that combine love, limits, and personal responsibility. He is the author of Love, Limits & Lessons: The Parent Toolbox and has published more than 100 books on parenting, personal growth, education, and family life.

Comments
Post a Comment